FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Depth Of Field Magazine proudly presents “Hip-Hop And Comics: Cultures Combining” at San Diego Comic-Con 2016!
this program brings together comic creators, visual artists, and musical luminaries to discuss the ties between these two creative cultures
On Thursday, July 21st at 7:00pm, Depth Of Field Magazine’s Hip-Hop And Comics: Cultures Combining program will return to San Diego Comic-Con, with an all-star panel discussion and an expanded visual presentation. This session will look at how comic books and Hip-Hop have grown from modest origins to achieve global impact, how they have intersected and cross-pollinated, and how they have encompassed, incorporated, and inspired other aspects of popular culture, including fashion design, graffiti and street art, dance, martial arts film, animation, and other related expressive forms.
Patrick Reed (editor of Depth Of Field Magazine) will moderate, and panelists include:
- Mix Master Mike (DJ, turntablist, producer, Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inductee, member of the Beastie Boys and the Invisibl Skratch Piklz)
- Kenny Keil (cartoonist, creator of Rhyme Travelers and Stay At Home Scarface, Mad Magazine contributor)
- Glow (muralist, graffiti and street artist)
- Vita Ayala (writer, creator of Black Mask’s Our Work Fills The Pews)
- Mega Ran (MC, producer)
- Eric Orr (visual artist, graphic designer, creator of Rappin’ Max Robot)
- Ted Lange IV (cartoonist, creator of Warp Zone)
- Turner Lange (cartoonist, creator of The Adventures Of Wally Fresch)
- James Reitano (cartoonist, animator, creator of 1985)
- Adam Wallenta (acclaimed MC and illustrator)
…And other special guests.
This year’s panel also marks two special occasions: the release of Mix Master Mike’s years-in-the-making multimedia VR Magma Chamber project, and the 30th anniversary of Eric Orr’s Rappin’ Max Robot (the first-ever Hip-Hop comic book). Demonstrations of Magma Chamber will be available all weekend in Artists’ Alley (FF-22), and Orr will be offering a signed + numbered SDCC-exclusive 30th Anniversary Max Robot sketchbook for sale.
The panel runs one hour, and will take place in Room 29AB of the San Diego Convention Center. San Diego Comic-Con 2016 takes place from July 20th-24th. For updates or inquires on the Hip-Hop And Comics programming, please check www.depthoffieldmagazine.com or @DJPatrickAReed/@depthzine on Twitter.
# # #